There is something about October, isnâ€™t there?
Heating season always means we get lots of fire calls involving carbon monoxide detectors going off. Usually they just malfunction — and they usually malfunction in the dead of night.
I was recently on one of these calls at 2:30 in the morning. We checked all around the house with our meters and found it safe. Another bad detector. â€œEverythingâ€™s fine. Itâ€™s probably just broken.â€
â€œOr something else,â€ replied the homeowner. â€œWe have strange things happen in this house. Things we canâ€™t really explain.â€
So at three in the morning I sat alone in the fire station filling out the report. I donâ€™t know if itâ€™s because I stayed up late watching American Horror Story, or that Iâ€™ve had zombies on the brain lately, but the thought of “something” setting off carbon monoxide alarms amplified every sound in and around the building.
And it was then that the brave hero of this story rushed nervously to his car.