Former local anchorman Ed Dague once decried my work as “dreck.”Â Truth be told I felt the same way about his stuff but I understand where he was coming from.
TV news promotion is not the highest form of art in the ad world. Â Mostly it’s bombastic, clichÃ©-ridden, and overwrought —as if you can annoy people into watching your show. Thanks to the consultants who dictate the look and feel of local TV news in America it’s the same in every market.
And woe to the producer who breaks the mold.
Back in July I did some weather ads that spoofed the tried and true genre of man on the street spots. The premise: who needs an accurate forecast more than nudists? I cast a bunch of local actors to play members of the fictional “Henry Hudson Nudist Camp” and here’s what we came up with:
The way it was explained to me was that “80% of our audience will get the joke and the other 20% will be offended.” In other words, 20% of the people out there are not smart enough to understand what they’re watching.
I always tried to do my job as if 100% of the viewers were smart. My bad.